Here is a “starter list” for research resources related to transgender identities and specifically waria in Indonesia.
Boellstorff, Tom. 2004. “Playing back the nation: Waria, Indonesia transvestites.” Cultural Anthropology 19 (May): 159-195.
Boelstorff, Tom. 2005. The gay archipelago: Sexuality and nation in Indonesia. Princeton: Princeton University Press.
Blackwood, Evelyn. 2010. Falling into the lesbi world: Desire and Difference in Indonesia. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press.
Davies, Sharyn G. 2010. Gender diversity in Indonesia: Sexuality, Islam, and queerselves. London: Routledge.
Kulick, Don. 1998. Transvesti: Sex, gender, and culture among Brazillian transgendered prostitutes. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Valentine, David. 2007. Imagining transgender: ethnography of a category. Durham: Duke University Press.
Van Wichelen, Sonja. 2010. Religion, politics and gender in Indonesia: Disputing the Muslim body. New York: Routledge.
Wieringa, Saskia E., Evelyn Blackwood, and Abha Bhaiya. 2007. Women’s sexualities and Masculinities in a globalizing Asia. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- The Aggressive (2005) / Link: www.imdb.com
- American Beauties (2008) / Link: www.groovefilm.net
- Bombay Eunuch (2008) / Link: www.imdb.com
- Degham: A Film on the Transgendered Experience in India (2009) / Link: www.maxwell.syr.edu
- Tales of the Waria (2011) / Link: www.thewaria.com
- Taboo: Transgender (2011) / Link: www.topdocumentaryfilms.com
- Wariazone (2011) / Link: www.wariazone.com